Developing You and Your Team
Implement a logical business plan, watch the numbers, do some marketing and things should run like clockwork…. except at the core of your business is people, and people are neither logical nor clockwork. Open any management book and you’ll discover that personal and team development are fundamental to business success.
Late night TV offer countless opportunities to spend money in a quest to become ‘the best version of yourself’ and the phrase itself has become a cliché. Despite this, embracing a few universal truths really can help us live happier lives.
- Body. Exercise, sleep and eat well. You’ll live longer and your productivity will increase.
- Mind. Identify what makes you happy and do it. Develop personal goals – the sub-conscious mind loves a challenge. Develop mindfulness – live in the moment without regret or anxiety.
- Soul. Identify your values and how you will practice them in your daily life. Take time to relax, reflect and give gratitude.
- Social. Recognise the value of family and friends and make time to connect.
- Work. Love what you do. Have a plan for the future, including an exit plan from your business. Stay passionate - develop your general business skills and your technical skills.
Developing Your Team
As you work on your business, be sure to involve your team. Collectively they may know more about your business than you do. Engage your team and they will repay you with respect, loyalty and commitment.
It’s important to recognise that in addition to being part of your business, each of your employees is a person with their own hopes, dreams and aspirations. Are you providing opportunities for each of your team to engage in their own personal development?
Read 8 Steps to Happiness by Anthony M Grant & Alison Leigh